Oxfam Trailwalker (OTW) – Hong Kong’s most popular hiking fundraising event organised by Oxfam Hong Kong (OHK) – kicked off this morning (18 Nov) as OTW stepped into its 35th year. The kick-off ceremony was officiated by Bernard Chan, OTW Advisory Committee Chair, Trini Leung, Director General of OHK, and Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau, the Principal Sponsor. A total of 5,200 walkers from 1,300 teams participated in the challenge this year. OHK aims to raise HK$35 million to support its work in poverty alleviation, disaster relief and policy advocacy in Hong Kong and around the world.
Close to 40 business leaders also took part in the Leaders Against Poverty Walk. These included Kenneth K. K. Fok, Vice President of Fok Ying Tung Group; his wife Guo Jingjing; Shirley Yuen, Chief Executive Officer of The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce, Bernard Chan, Jacky Chan as well as members of the OTW Advisory Committee. They walked from Sai Kung Pak Tam Chung to the pavilion at the start of High Island Reservoir West Dam, or Sheung Yiu Country Trail respectively, and raised funds to support Oxfam’s poverty alleviation work.
OHK is taking measures to ensure a greener event this year. For instance, it has given each participant an ‘Oxfam Trailwalker 35th Anniversary’ stainless steel cup to reduce waste such as paper cups and will have green ambassadors stationed at the event to encourage recycling. The organisation estimates that 50,000 fewer paper cups will be used this year.
Bernard Chan said, ‘Completing the 100 km trail in 48 hours requires much perseverance, teamwork and endurance. This “trailwalking spirit” has been passed down through the generations; that’s why as we celebrate OTW’s 35th anniversary this year, we thank the Gurkhas and everyone who has passed on this event and its spirit to you today. Like our theme “Keep on Trailwalking”, we hope that you will do the same and keep sharing your passion for trailwalking and fighting poverty with those around you.’ He also expressed his gratitude to all the guests, walkers, volunteers, donors, and sponsors for their support over the years.
Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong & Macau, said, ‘Last year, AIA announced its role as Principal Sponsor of Oxfam Trailwalker under the brand of “AIA Vitality” for three years. This year, we will field a record-breaking 29 teams comprising 116 staff and financial planners to support the event, and it will again be the largest corporate participant. There will also be more than 200 volunteers from AIA, who will distribute food and supplies along the trail to encourage and cheer on participants. With the “AIA Dare to Challenge Award” again this year, we continue to recognise the outstanding performance of first-time participants, echoing the theme: “Keep on Trailwalking”. Through our comprehensive support of this annual hiking fundraiser, we are delivering on our brand promise as “The Real Life Company” by helping people live healthier, better and happier lives.’
OTW has become OHK's flagship fundraiser and one of the largest fundraising hiking events in Hong Kong. The event is supported by various sponsors, including AIA Vitality, the Principal Sponsor. Since 1986, more than 93,000 trailwalkers have participated and raised over HK$500 million to support Oxfam’s poverty alleviation work all over the world.
Media Activities of Oxfam Trailwalker 2016
Receiving First Team Ceremony
Date: 18 Nov, 2016 (Fri)
Time: Around 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Venue: Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp in Yuen Long
Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair
Trini Leung, Director General, Oxfam Hong Kong
Carrie Ko, Head of AIA Vitality, AIA Hong Kong and Macau, Principal Sponsor of Oxfam Trailwalker 2016
Date: 20 Nov, 2016 (Sun)
Time: Between 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm
Venue: Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp in Yuen Long
Guest: Trini Leung, Director General, Oxfam Hong Kong
For more information about Oxfam Trailwalker, please visit: http://www.oxfamtrailwalker.org.hk/
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/oxfamtrailwalkerhk
About Oxfam Trailwalker
Oxfam Trailwalker (previously called ‘Trailwalker’) began in Hong Kong in 1981 as a military training exercise for the elite Queen’s Gurkha Signals Regiment. In 1986, Oxfam Hong Kong was invited to co-organise the event and in the same year the event was open to the public. Along with the retreat of the Gurkhas in 1997, Oxfam Hong Kong took over the event. Through the years, Oxfam Trailwalker has become one of the largest fundraising and hiking events, and it is now held in 15 cities in nine countries including Australia, Belgium, England, France, India, Japan, New Zealand, Spain and Hong Kong.
Oxfam is a worldwide development organisation that mobilises the power of people against poverty.
About AIA VitalityAIA Vitality is a game changing wellness programme which redefines the traditional concept of insurance, aims to reward customers to live a healthy lifestyle. Purchase any AIA Vitality selected insurance product and receive an instant 10% premium discount* and an array of rewards and discounts from our partners. Simply being active in daily life and having a healthy diet, customers can earn points and upgrade their status for more discounts and rewards.
*The premium discount is only applicable to AIA Vitality selected insurance products. Please visit AIA Hong Kong’s website aia.com.hk - ‘AIA Vitality’.
Photo 1: Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair, delivered the welcome speech at the Oxfam Trailwalker 2016 kick-off ceremony.
Photo 2: Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau, gave a speech at the Oxfam Trailwalker 2016 kick-off ceremony.
Photo 3: A total of 5,200 walkers are undertaking the 100 km challenge and will trek along the MacLehose Trail and other trails in teams of four within 48 hours.
Photo 4: The Oxfam Trailwalker 2016 kick-off ceremony was officiated by (front row third from the left) Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair; Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer, AIA Hong Kong and Macau, Principal Sponsor of Oxfam Trailwalker 2016; and Trini Leung, Director General of Oxfam Hong Kong.
Photo 5: Close to 40 business leaders, including Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair (first row, sixth from the left); Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau (first row, seventh from the left); Kenneth K. K. Fok and wife Guo Jingjing (first row, fifth and sixth from the right); Carrie Ko, Head of AIA Vitality, AIA Hong Kong and Macau (first row, fourth from the right); Bonnie Tse, General Manager, Business Strategy and Marketing, AIA Hong Kong and Macau (first row, third from the right); and Shirley Yuen, CEO of The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce (first row, third from the left), joined the ‘Oxfam Trailwalker 2016 – Leaders Against Poverty Walk’ on the first day of the event.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Oxfam Communications Officer
Phone：(852) 3120 5201 / (852) 6749 6230
Senior Communications Officer
Phone: (852) 3120 5175 / (852) 9654 2048
For AIA enquiries, please contact:
Bentley Communications Limited
Phone: (852) 3960 1903
Oxfam Trailwalker 2016 – Leaders Against Poverty Walk Participants
1) Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair
2) Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
3) Bonnie Tse, General Manager, Business Strategy and Marketing, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
4) Jim Jan Zen, Chief Agency Officer, Agency Distribution, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
5) Carrie Ko, Head of AIA Vitality, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
6) Alvin Chan Yee Shing, Vice President, The Hong Kong Medical Association
7) Amanda Yik, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member
8) Antony Wood, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member
9) Aron Harilela, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman, Harilela Group
10) Chen Lang, Chairman of the Board, CR Beer
11) David Lau, Managing Director, JP Morgan
12) Edwin Morris, Chief Financial Officer, Asia Miles Ltd.
13) Emmanuel Vivant, Managing Director, Hong Kong Tramways
14) Ernest Wong, President, Hong Kong University Graduates Association
15) Helmuth Hennig, Managing Director, Jebsen & Co.
16) Hubert Chak, Director, Tradelink Electronic Commerce Ltd.
17) Ivy Cheung, President, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
18) Joan Xia, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member
19) John Arnold, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member
20) K. K. Tse, Executive Director, Tradelink Electronic Commerce Ltd.
21) Kenneth K. K. Fok, Vice President, Fok Ying Tung Group; and Guo Jingjing
22) Kenneth Ying, Director, Tradelink Electronic Commerce Ltd.
23) Kwan Chi Wah, Associate Director, Sino Group
24) Lai Po Sing, Tomakin, Executive Director & Chief Financial Officer, China Resources Beer (Holdings) Company Ltd.
25) Lau Ka Shi, Managing Director & CEO, BCT Financial Ltd. (BCTF) / Bank Consortium Trust Company Ltd. (BCTC)
26) Lewis Chan, Chief Executive Officer, Dragonmarts Company Ltd.
27) Malini Thadani, Head of Corporate Sustainability, Asia Pacific, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd.
28) Michael Huddart, Executive Vice President and General Manager for Greater China, Manulife Financial Asia Ltd.
29) Oscar Chow Vee Tsung, Executive Director, Chevalier Group
30) Raphael le Masne de Chermont, Executive Chairman, Shanghai Tang
31) Richard Lancaster, Chief Executive Officer, CLP Holdings Ltd.
32) S. K. Shum, Hiking Meetup Organiser, Hong Kong Hiking Meetup
33) Shirley Yuen, Chief Executive Officer, The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
34) Tania Tsang, Associate Director, The Mills Shopfloor
35) Vanessa Cheung, Property and Business Development Director, Nan Fung Group
36) William Lo, Vice Chairman, Lovable International Holdings Ltd.
37) Yvonne Lo, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member