Oxfam Trailwalker (OTW) – Hong Kong’s most popular hiking fundraising event organised by Oxfam Hong Kong (OHK) – kicked off this morning (16 Nov) as OTW stepped into its 37th year. The kick-off ceremony was officiated by Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair; Peter Crewe, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau; Wong Kam Sing, Secretary for the Environment; and Madam Lin from Tai Mo Shan Kiosk. A total of 5,200 walkers from 1,300 teams took up the challenge this year. OHK aims to raise HK$34 million to support its work in poverty alleviation, disaster relief and policy advocacy in Hong Kong and around the world.
All walkers successively started their walk from Sai Kung to Yuen Long at 8 am, 9:30 am, 11:00 am, 12:30 pm, and 2 pm respectively today. They aim to arrive at the finish point in Yuen Long within 48 hours. The event has attracted participants from all walk of life, including visually and hearing-impaired teams; the domestic helper team; celebrity team Chord Walker, whose members include Dixon Wong, a ViuTV artiste, On Chan from C AllStar, Regen Cheung from HotCha, and Cheronna Ng from Super Girls; and the oldest team among all walkers who have a combined age of 271.
To encourage more people to care for the environment, OHK is encouraging walkers to be greener. Walkers who complete the trail and complete a series of specified green actions will have the Green4 Trailwalker monogram stamped on their certificates.
Around 20 corporate leaders also took part in the Leaders Against Poverty Walk today to raise funds to support Oxfam’s poverty alleviation work.
Bernard Chan said, ‘This year, our theme is ‘Oxfam Trailwalker: Transforming Lives’ because the OTW transforms countless people’s lives – both walkers’ and those in poor communities around the world!’ He also thanked a vast group of supporters – over 3,000 volunteers and 5,200 support team members.
Peter Crewe, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong & Macau, said, ‘2018 marks our fourth consecutive year as Principal Sponsor of this event in the name of ‘AIA Vitality’. To show our full support to Oxfam’s poverty alleviation projects, this year we are fielding a record-breaking 47 teams comprising 188 staff and financial planners, being once again the largest corporate participant. The theme of this year’s event, ‘Oxfam Trailwalker: Transforming Lives’, echoes the mission of ‘AIA Vitality’ to encourage people to lead healthy lifestyles. We firmly believe that a healthy and active lifestyle will have a positive impact beyond our expectations on our overall well-being. Through this event, we hope to encourage more people to adopt healthy lifestyle habits, leading to healthier, longer, better lives.’
The OTW has become the largest fundraising hiking event in Hong Kong. Since 1986, more than 100,000 trailwalkers have participated in the OTW and raised over HK$572 million to support Oxfam’s poverty alleviation work all over the world.
Media Activities of Oxfam Trailwalker 2018
Receiving First Team Ceremony
Date: 16 Nov 2018 (Fri)
Time: Around 7:00 - 8:00 pm
Venue: Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp in Yuen Long
Guests: Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair
Uke Yue, Head of AIA Vitality Strategy and Business Management, AIA Hong Kong & Macau, (Principal
Sponsor of Oxfam Trailwalker 2018)
Date: 18 Nov 2018 (Sun)
Time: Between 1:30 and 2:00 pm
Venue: Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp in Yuen Long
Guest: Stephen Fisher, Acting Director General, Oxfam Hong Kong
About Oxfam Trailwalker
Oxfam Trailwalker (previously named 'Trailwalker') began in Hong Kong in 1981 as a Gurkha-led training exercise for the army – only soldiers, and only men, joined. In 1986, Oxfam Hong Kong was invited to co-organise the event and it was open to the public. Oxfam Hong Kong took over the event after the retreat of the Gurkhas in 1997. Through the years, Oxfam Trailwalker has become one of the largest fundraising and hiking events in Hong Kong. This year, it has and will be held in 16 cities in 9 countries, including Australia (Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney), Belgium, England, France (Avallon, Vacheresse), India (Bangaluru, Mumbai), South Korea, New Zealand, Spain (Euskadi, Girona, Madrid), and Hong Kong.
Oxfam is a worldwide development organisation that mobilises the power of people against poverty.
About AIA Vitality
AIA Vitality is a game changing wellness programme which redefines the traditional concept of insurance, aims to reward customers to live a healthy lifestyle. Purchase any “AIA Vitality” selected insurance product and receive an instant 10% premium discount* or 10 % extra cover^ and an array of rewards and discounts offered by our partners. Simply being active in daily life and having a healthy diet, customers can earn points and upgrade their status for more discounts and rewards.
*The premium discount is only applicable to AIA Vitality selected insurance products. Please visit AIA Hong Kong’s website aia.com.hk - ‘AIA Vitality’.
^Extra cover means AIA Vitality Power Up Coverage, which is a percentage of initial Sum Assured added for the sole purpose of computing the death benefit or the major illness benefit for once when it becomes payable.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Phone: (852) 3120 5201 / (852) 6749 6230
Assistant Communications Officer
Phone: (852) 3120 5174 / (852) 9786 2258
For AIA enquiries, please contact:
Bentley Communications Limited
Phone: (852) 3960 1903
Oxfam Trailwalker 2018 – Leaders Against Poverty Walk Participants
(To ensure proper arrangement, it is recommended that you confirm your interview interest ahead of time)
- Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair
- Peter Crewe, Chief Executive Officer, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
- Jim Jan Zen, Chief Agency Officer, Agency Distribution, AIA Hong Kong & Macau
- Bonnie Tse, General Manager, Corporate, Strategy and Wealth Management, AIA Hong Kong & Macau
- Amanda Yik, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member
- Antony Wood, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member
- Bosco Law, Deputy Chairman & CEO, Laws Fashion Group Limited
- Chen Lang, Chairman, China Resources Beer (Holdings) Company Limited
- Chen Shuang, Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, China Everbright Limited
- Chen, Rock Chung Nin, Chairman, Pacific Falcon Investment Group Limited
- Cindy Chow, Executive Director, Alibaba Hong Kong Entrepreneurs Fund
- David Lau, Managing Director, JP Morgan
- Joan Xia, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member
- Kenneth Fok, Vice President, Fok Ying Tung Group
- Kwan Chi Wah, Associate Director (Sino Property Services), Sino Group
- Lai Po Sing, Chief Financial Officer, China Resources Beer (Holdings) Company Limited
- Lau Ka Shi, Managing Director & CEO, BCT Group (BCT Financial Ltd /Bank Consortium Trust Company)
- Lewis Chan, Chief Executive Officer, Dragonmarts Company Limited
- Michelle Chan Wen Mee (May), Managing Director, A.S. Watson Industries (ASWI)
- Paul Smitton, Chief Executive Officer, Asia Miles Limited
- Stan Tang, Chairman, Stan Group (Holdings) Limited
- Yvonne Lo, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Member