20 NOV 2015
Bernard Chan, Trini Leung and Jacky Chan as officiating guests of kick-off ceremony Antony Leung and Ricky Wong among 20 business leaders who joined ‘Leaders Walk’
Oxfam Trailwalker (OTW), Hong Kong’s most popular hiking fundraising event organised by Oxfam Hong Kong, kicked off this morning (20 November). The official kick-off ceremony was officiated by Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair, Trini Leung, Director General of Oxfam Hong Kong, and Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau, Principal Sponsor. A total of 5,200 walkers from 1,300 teams participated in the challenge this year. Oxfam Hong Kong aims to raise HK$32 million to support its work in poverty alleviation, disaster relief and policy advocacy in Hong Kong and around the world.
The Oxfam Trailwalker 2015 – Leaders against Poverty Walk was held for the second year. More than 20 business leaders, including Antony Leung, former Financial Secretary, and current Chief Executive Officer of Nan Fung Group, Ricky Wong, Chairman of Hong Kong Television Network Ltd, Shirley Yuen, Chief Executive Officer of Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce, Chan Wen Mee, Michelle, Managing Director of A.S. Watson Industries Ltd, Bernard Chan, Jacky Chan as well as members from the Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee walked from Sai Kung Pak Tam Chung to the pavilion at the start of High Island Reservoir West Dam, or Sheung Yiu Country Trail respectively, and raised funds to support Oxfam’s poverty alleviation work.
Bernard Chan said, ‘This year’s theme is “Side by Side, Together we thrive.” A total of 1,300 teams - around 5,200 participants - must walk over 20 hills and mountains for 100 km along the rugged MacLehose Trail and other trails within 48 hours. Through teamwork and mutual support, no challenge will be too big to overcome for each team of four. This year’s theme also echoes Oxfam’s mission to mobilise the power of people to fight for a world without poverty.’ He also expressed his gratitude to all the guests, walkers, volunteers, donors, sponsors and government departments for their support over the past years.
Jacky Chan, CEO of AIA Hong Kong and Macau, said, ‘We are pleased to sign on as the Principal Sponsor of Oxfam Trailwalker in the name of ”AIA Vitality” for the next three years and look forward to hiking for health and charity in this event. This year, we are introducing the “AIA Vitality - Dare to Challenge Award” with the aim of encouraging first-time participants of the Oxfam Trailwalker. “AIA Vitality” is a practical and comprehensive programme which incentivises customers to lead healthy lifestyles with instant rewards. In the same way, the rewards for participating in Oxfam Trailwalker go beyond improvements in physical health. It also includes the development of positive character traits such as perseverance and resilience. It is a meaningful event which offers participants the memorable experience of hiking in nature while supporting Oxfam’s work in alleviating poverty worldwide.’
Oxfam Trailwalker has become Oxfam Hong Kong's flagship fundraiser and one of the largest fundraising hiking events in Hong Kong. The event is supported by various sponsors, including AIA, the Principal Sponsor starting this year, and State Street which has sponsored the event for 17 consecutive years. Since 1986, more than 88,000 trailwalkers have participated and raised over HK$470 million to support Oxfam’s poverty alleviation work all over the world.
Media Activities of Oxfam Trailwalker 2015
Receiving First Team Ceremony
Date: 20 November, 2015 (Fri)
Time: Around 7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Venue: Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp in Yuen Long
Guests: Trini Leung, Director General, Oxfam Hong Kong
Low Kok-keong, Head of AIA Vitality, AIA Hong Kong and Macau,
Principal Sponsor of Oxfam Trailwalker 2015
Date: 22 November, 2015 (Sun)
Time: Between 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm
Venue: Po Leung Kuk Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp in Yuen Long
Guest: Trini Leung, Director General, Oxfam Hong Kong
For more information about Oxfam Trailwalker, please visit: http://www.oxfamtrailwalker.org.hk/
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/oxfamtrailwalkerhk
About Oxfam Trailwalker
Oxfam Trailwalker (previously called ‘Trailwalker’) began in Hong Kong in 1981 as a military training exercise for the elite Queen’s Gurkha Signals Regiment. In 1986, Oxfam Hong Kong was invited to co-organise the event and in the same year the event was open to the public. Along with the retreat of the Gurkhas in 1997, Oxfam Hong Kong took over the event. Through the years, Oxfam Trailwalker has become one of the largest fundraising and hiking events, and it is now held in 16 cities in 10 countries including Australia, Belgium, England, France, India, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand and Spain.
Oxfam is a worldwide development organisation that mobilises the power of people against poverty.
About AIA Vitality
Introduced by AIA Hong Kong, ‘AIA Vitality’ is an incentivised wellness programme which redefines the traditional concept of insurance. The game-changing programme comprises three steps, namely, ‘Know your Health’, ‘Improve your Health’ and ‘Enjoy the Rewards’, to help customers take charge of their health and be rewarded. Built on a science-backed wellness programme, the comprehensive and well-structured ‘AIA Vitality’ encourages customers to become healthier and rewards them for the healthy choices they make. Besides premium discounts, customers can take advantage of fabulous discounts and offers1 from programme partners. Customers who successfully apply for any of the ‘AIA Vitality Series’ and join as members2 of ‘AIA Vitality’ will enjoy an upfront premium discount of 10% for the first policy year3. In addition to a number of lifestyle rewards from 16 partners, including medical screening privileges, discounted sports equipment, fresh fruit and vegetables discounts, free movie tickets and travel discounts etc, customers can also earn AIA Vitality Points to extend the privileged premium discounts up to 15%.
- Please refer to the member’s handbook or visit aiavitality.com.hk for details of partners and offers.
- An annual membership fee of HK$300 is required and must be the Life Insured of the in-force ‘AIA Vitality’ Series insurance policy.
- Please visit AIA’s website aia.com.hk for details on the insurance products included in the ‘AIA Vitality’ programme. The applicants for ‘AIA Vitality’ must be aged 18 or above and must be the Life Insured of the in-force ‘AIA Vitality’ Series insurance policy. Premium discounts are applicable to standard premium only (additional premium not included).
Oxfam Trailwalker 2015 – Leaders against Poverty Walk Participants
1) Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair
2) Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
3) Syed Asim Hasan, Senior Vice President, State Street Corporation
4) Art Bacci, Head of Hong Kong Group, Principal Hong Kong
5) Lewis Chan, Chief Executive Officer, Dragonmarts Company Limited
6) Chan Wee Mee (Michelle), Managing Director, A.S. Watson Industries Ltd
7) Chow Vee Tsung (Oscar), Executive Director, Chevalier Group
8) Jim Jan Zen, Chief Agency Officer, Agency Distribution, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
9) Kwan Chi Wah, Associate Director, Sino Group
10) Lau Ka Shi, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, BCT Financial Ltd./ Bank Consortium Trust Co. Ltd.
11) Antony Leung, Chief Executive Officer, Nan Fung Group
12) Whelan Leung, Managing Director, PROTrek
13) Li Ning, Executive Director, Henderson Land Development Co. Ltd.
14) Low Kok-Keong, Head of AIA Vitality, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
15) Lung Hak Kau (Karl), Director, The Hong Kong Society of Financial Analysts
16) Edwin Morris, Chief Financial Officer, Asia Miles Limited
17) Edmund Sim, Managing Director, China Merchant Securities (HK) Co. Ltd.
18) Norman Tam, Managing Director, Texwood Group
19) Bonnie Tse, General Manager, Business Strategy and Marketing, AIA Hong Kong and Macau
20) Ricky Wong, Chairman, Hong Kong Television Network Ltd
21) Shirley Yuen, Chief Executive Officer, Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce
22) John Arnold, Member, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee
23) Joan Xia, Member, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee
24) Antony Wood, Member, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee
25) Yik Chi (Amanda), Member, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee
For media enquiries, please contact:
For AIA enquiries, please contact:
The Oxfam Trailwalker 2015 Kick-Off ceremony was officiated by Bernard Chan (front row first from the left), Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair, Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer, AIA Hong Kong and Macau, Principal Sponsor of Oxfam Trailwalker 2015, Syed Asim Hasan, Senior Vice President, State Street, and Trini Leung, Director General of Oxfam Hong Kong.
A total of 20 business leaders, including Bernard Chan, Oxfam Trailwalker Advisory Committee Chair (first row fifth from the right), Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau (first row sixth from the right), Antony Leung, former Financial Secretary, and current Chief Executive Officer of Nan Fung Group (first row seventh from the right), Ricky Wong, Chairman of Hong Kong Television Network Ltd (first row third from the right), and Shirley Yuen, CEO of The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce (first row fourth from the right), joined the ‘Oxfam Trailwalker 2015 – Leaders against Poverty Walk’ on the first day of the event.