22 SEP 2017
Mexico earthquake: Oxfam sends in assessment teams to two worst hit areas
Oxfam is sending in two teams of humanitarian experts to Morelos and Puebla, with more on the way, following the 7.1 earthquake that struck central Mexico on 19 September. This is the second earthquake to strike Mexico in less than two weeks. Oxfam has launched an appeal to respond to the disaster.
Over 248 people have died and hundreds are injured. Many remain trapped under rubble.
Morelos and Puebla are two of the most affected areas. Oxfam’s response plan is likely to focus on food, water and sanitation, and protection. The assessment teams are made up of Mexican, Colombian, Peruvian and Spanish nationals.
The public can donate in various ways:
- Online: www.oxfam.org.hk/en/oneoffdonationform_17it1007.aspx
- PPS: Input Oxfam's merchant code ‘9245’ and enter your 8-digit Hong Kong contact phone no. as the Bill Payee Account Number, then select ‘04’ for ‘Oxfam Emergency Appeal’.
- At any convenience store
- Credit card
- Crossed cheque: (Cheque made payable to ‘Oxfam Hong Kong’ and write ‘Mexico Earthquake’ on the back)
- Bank Transfer:
- Hang Seng Bank: 284-401080-003
- Bank of China: 012-874-0-010515-7
- Bank of East Asia: 015-133-25-01288-3
(Please send this form with the original bank receipt)
Should there be any unused donations from this public appeal, Oxfam will use the funds for other emergency, rehabilitation, or community development projects in Mexico or other places.
More information: www.oxfam.org.hk/tc/mexicoearthquake.aspx
- Ends -
Notes to Editors:
Oxfam spokespeople are available in Mexico, who can speak Spanish and English.
Oxfam is a worldwide development organisation that mobilises the power of people against poverty.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Maggie Chum (Communications Officer)
Telephone: (852) 3120 5222 / (852) 6010 9961
Sarah Chu (Senior Communications Officer)
Telephone: (852) 3120 5280 / (852) 9276 0064